VIE hosts 2 conferences each year, one during the fall semester and one during the spring semester.
The Fall 2021 conference will be held virtually from December 6-10. From Monday through Friday (December 6-10), sessions in Education Abroad, International Student & Scholar Services, and General Interest categories will be presented at 11am, 12pm, and 1pm.
Fall 2021 virtual conference will not have a registration fee.
Monday – December 6, 2021
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM – Employment-Based Immigration Advising Updates – Kristen Repyneck Dennis, Goldblum Pollins & Dennis
- 12:00 PM -1:00 PM – Clarifying Financial Aid for Study Abroad: A VCU Case Study and Roundtable Discussion – Amy Miller, Stephanie Tignor & Evan Udowitch , Virginia Commonwealth University
- 1:00 PM- 2:00 PM – Proverbs for Newbies: How to Thrive as a New Professional of Color in International Education – Keyana Pugh & Lauren Hill, Virginia Tech
Tuesday – December 7, 2021
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM – Open Discussion on Education Abroad – Sarah Moran, University of Mary Washington
- 12:00 PM -1:00 PM – Why International Students’ Sense of Belonging is Important – and How to Promote It– Hunter Swanson, Washington and Lee University
- 1:00 PM- 2:00 PM – Empowering Teachers by Building Successful Online Learning Environments – Sherry Mazin, Dr. Christine Palumbo & Sandy Nguyen, iTEP International Test of English Proficiency
Wednesday – December 8, 2021
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM – Increasing J-1 Exchange Student Engagement with Social & Cultural Programming – Jaelen White & Maureen Deisinger, Virginia Tech
- 1:00 PM- 2:00 PM – So you have your data…how do you show it? – Kim Cossey, Old Dominion University
Thursday – December 9, 2021
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM – Reexamining the Complexity of Change of Status to F-1 – Alice Laubach, Old Dominion University
- 12:00 PM -1:00 PM – Engaging Families in International Education: A Necessary Precondition for Successful Outcomes? – Todd Lee Goen, Christopher Newport University
- 1:00 PM- 2:00 PM – Open Forum for International Student Services – Danielle Davis, Radford University
Friday – December 10, 2021
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM – Designing Cross-Cultural Training – Newzaira Khan & Kim Cossey, Old Dominion University
- 1:00 PM- 2:00 PM – Hot Topics in ISSS – Crystal Malik, McCandlish Holton